Wednesday, October 12, 2011

ROASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS: 3 WAYS

Today my 15-month old daughter and I decided that we needed a fun activity to officially kick off this fall season. Of course I thought of the pile of pumpkins sitting in my garage and decided that the babe and I could probably tackle a few before lunch. It turns out you are never too young [or old] to enjoy sinking your hands into the stringy orange goo of this season's all-star. And, if you're my daughter, throwing it around and plastering it on mom brings additional glee.


I love pumpkin seeds [and squash seeds]. I really do. They are my all-time favorite snack and, so far, it doesn't matter how they are made - I love them all. I've even been known to sneak a handful as a pre-breakfast snack when the first meal of the day seems to keep moving further and further towards lunch [and I am a breakfast nut!]. But, like everyone else, there are some days that just seem to start out crazy. Oh, and if you are avoiding corn [and even if you're not], these make a fantastic stand-in to popcorn!



[THESE LITTLE GUYS ARE ANYTHING BY SEEDY]

Pumpkin seeds pack in 29 percent protein [higher than most seeds and nuts], omega-3 fatty acids, and have the ability to take on nasty intestinal parasites. They are full of iron, zinc, phosphorus, and vitamin A as well as calcium and some of the B vitamins. In Ayurvedic terms, they are tri-doshic which means they have a balancing effect on the body. If you're recruiting, I'd try them out on defense. And offense. Shoot, play them both ways!

Below are the resident freshmen of my pumpkin seed line-up and they are putting on quite a show. With football season in full swing, these make for a very easy [and healthy] snack choice!

Enjoy and go Lions!


Note: If you are using squash seeds [or smaller seeds] reduce the baking time by 10 - 15 minutes. In general, smaller seeds require less time in the oven.



[SMOKED CHIPOTLE PUMPKIN SEEDS]

1 c. of raw pumpkin or squash seeds, separated and rinsed [pat dry]
1/4 tsp. each chipotle powder, chili powder, smoked sea salt, granulated garlic, and Real Salt sea salt
1/2 tsp. paprika

Toss all ingredients. Spread out on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Bake for 30 - 45 minutes. Begin watching closely at the 20 minute mark to ensure that the seeds don't get too brown. Test to see if dry and crunchy. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 - 15 minutes. Store in a sealed glass jar or container for 2 - 3 days.


[KETTLE STYLE PUMPKIN SEEDS]

1 c. of raw pumpkin or squash seeds, separated and rinsed [pat dry]
2 tsp. ghee or non-dairy butter, melted
1 tbsp. organic cane sugar*
1/4 tsp. Real Salt sea salt

Toss all ingredients. Spread out on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Bake for 45 - 60 minutes. Begin watching closely at the 30 minute mark to ensure that the seeds don't get too brown. Test to see if dry and crunchy. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 - 15 minutes. Store in a sealed glass jar or container for 2 - 3 days.

*Rarely will you see me ever use sugar. I much prefer honey and maple syrup as they are local to where I live and far exceed sugar in nutrients. But, there is always an exception to the rule and this is it. I have found that a granulated type of sugar works best in this recipe. Maple sugar and other sugars may work as well, organic cane is simply what I have on hand.

[ZESTY ITALIAN PUMPKIN SEEDS]

1 c. of raw pumpkin or squash seeds, separated and rinsed [pat dry]
2 tsp. Italian seasoning blend
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. Real Salt sea salt
1/4 tsp. granulated garlic

Toss all ingredients. Spread out on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Bake for 30 - 45 minutes. Begin watching closely at the 20 minute mark to ensure that the seeds don't get too brown. Test to see if dry and crunchy. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 - 15 minutes. Store in a sealed glass jar or container for 2 - 3 days.


2 comments:

Bidimensional II said...

I never knew that pumpkin seeds could be eating with the shell still on. This sounds delish, I have a big pumpkin ready to be harvested and I'm saving all the seeds! This is genious!

Tina VanderKlok said...

Thank you! I hope you enjoy them!