Pumpkin-Apple Bread Recipe (Gluten and Dairy Free)
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/3 cup ground flaxseed meal
- 1 and 1/2 cups sugar (organic cane sugar, sucanat, or sugar-replacement such as honey)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon xanthum gum
- 1/2 cup olive (or canola) oil
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 medium-large apple (I used golden supreme)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree (see below to make your own puree)
- 1/3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together the brown rice flour, sorghum flour, buckwheat flour, ground flaxseed meal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg and xanthum gum.
- In a separate bowl, cream together remaining oil and eggs. Add unsweetened pumpkin puree and water. Add flour mixture to batter and mix until well-blended. Stir in the walnuts and apples. Put mixture in loaf pans (1 small and 1 large).
- Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes (time for large pan) or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.
1 small pie pumpkin
food processor, blender, etc.
sturdy serrated knife
larger microwavable bowl with cover (or cover bowl with plate)
Cut pumpkin in half and remove stem, seeds, and insides. Cut into quarters, put in large bowl, and add a couple inches of water. Cover and microwave for 10 minutes. Check to see if soft. Continue to microwave until pumpkin is soft and is easily removed from skin. Remove pumpkin from skin, put in food processor, and puree.
*Note: you can also bake pumpkin in oven or steam until soft.