Monday, November 21, 2011

GINGER CHAI

One of my favorite places to go is nestled in this little eclectic community about 40 minutes away from where I live [check out Global Infusion here]. It really is unfortunate that I don't live next door [or in the storage room]. But because I'm just not that lucky, I am constantly trying to create their chai recipe. Let me just say they are masters when it comes to chai, this probably being an understatement. Recently they came up with a Ginger-Tulsi chai that I am praying will carry on into life after death. It really is that good.

Well here is my attempt at their recipe. The original will of course always be better. One, because when they make it is means I didn't have to. This natural phenomenon is what draws us back to grandma's homemade apple pie or dutch bread and mom's seven layer sandwich. Two, all creators should have dibs on being "the best" at their creation.

So my hats off to you ladies!


[WHAT IS TULSI?]

If you're curious what Tulsi is and it's benefits, look here for details. It's worth the read or at least a glance!



[THE RECIPE]

3 c. water
3, 1-inch chunk of fresh, peeled or 2 tsp. dried
10 cloves
16 peppercorns
2 star of anise
10 cardamom pods
1 tsp. fennel
4 whole allspice
1 cinnamon stick
pinch or two of cayenne pepper

3 tbsp. Ginger-Tulsi Tea

1 1/2 tsp. organic blackstrap molasses [to taste]
2 -3 tbsp. of honey or sucanat, to taste [optional]

2/3 c. non-dairy milk of choice [I love coconut milk in this, light or regular works]

In saucepan, bring water to boil. Add spices and simmer on medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Place loose leaf tea in cotton tea bag or mesh tea ball. Remove pot from heat and add tea bag / ball. Cover and let stand for 15 - 20 minutes. Remove tea bag / ball, strain spices, and return liquid to pot. Warm. Stir in molasses and honey. Turn heat to low and cover the pot.

In separate saucepan warm non-dairy milk until almost boiling and light froth forms.

Combine 1/3 c. non-dairy milk and 2/3 c. of chai tea in mug. Gently stir and serve immediately. You could also allow to cool and server over ice.

Makes 3 - 1 cup servings, appx. $0.50 per serving







No comments: