Monday, May 2, 2011

ARTICHOKE WITH DILL CREAM SAUCE













[FOR THE ARTICHOKES]


Artichokes are a new found friend for me. I am actually going to try growing them in my own garden, although my guess is we will not have a long enough season. But hey! It's worth a shot!

I love artichoke hearts in pasta, frittatas, on pizza and in anything else I can sneak them into. Although the standard oil soaked hearts are tasty they are also heavy in the fat and should be used in small amounts. In response to that, I thought this time I would try my hand at cooking [and eating] the whole thing without the heavy oils. It's actually extremely simple and surprisingly delicious!


[FOR THE ARTICHOKES]


2 medium sized artichokes
1 tbsp. lemon juice or the juice of 1/2 a lemon

Cut stem off artichokes, leaving 1/2 inch or less. Cut off about 1/3 of the top. Place the artichokes in a medium size pot of water and bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat [you should have gentle simmer]. Cook for 40 - 60 minutes or until the leaves easily pull off [test a leaf at 30 - 45 minutes]. Strain water, cool slightly, and serve with dill cream sauce.

[DILL CREAM SAUCE]

3/4 c. cashew cream
2 - 3 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. dried mint (or 1 tbsp. fresh mint, chopped)
1 tsp. dried chives (or 2 tsp. fresh)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder (or 1 - 2 cloves, to taste)
1 tsp. olive oil
1 - 2 tsp. dried dill (or 1 tbsp. fresh)

Combine all in food processor or blender and mix on high until well blended and creamy. Refrigerate 30 minutes and serve with steamed artichokes.

2 comments:

Betsy said...

This is exactly what I was looking for! I'm new to artichokes too, and hate mayo, so I was looking for something else to dip them in. Dill sauce sounds perfect! We'd love it if you would link up your recipe (or any others you may have) at seasonalpotluck.com March is artichoke month! http://bit.ly/zRfNjo

TINA, MS, Holistic Nutrition, LEED-AP said...

Hi Betsy - I'm glad you found it! Yes, please link the recipe. Are you looking for any other recipes specifically? Thanks!