Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Baby Food



Since having my daughter, my life has been consumed with baby babble, diapers, toys, music, and most importantly food. A month ago my daughter began her voyage into solid foods. Over the summer I worked hard to can pears, peaches, apples and plums in sauce form using small jam jars. I have also been extremely careful to give her only organic foods as well as reverse osmosis filtered water. I make all of my own baby food, which has been surprisingly simple. Because I have food allergies, I wanted to ensure that I am introduce foods in the best possible way - a way that would minimize the potential of her having to live with allergies. Thus, a food introduction "schedule" was born.

Below are the first few foods that I have introduced, in the order of introduction along with some lessons learned. This schedule was adapted from the schedule provided by DBC Natural Holistic Health Center. Foods were introduced every 4 days, allowing me time to observe and ensure no allergies or intolerances were present.


1) Bananas
2) Applesauce
Note: I found both of these foods to be constipating for my daughter. I stopped giving these to her and will reintroduce later.
3) Green Beans
4) Peas
5) Broccoli
6) Spinach
Note: My daughter loved all of these vegetables and did very well on them.
7) Mung Beans
Note: These were still hard for her to digest and I found I need to cook them a few times to be fore digestable.
8) Pumpkin

This is where we are so far. I am finding that my daughter is doing much better on vegetables than fruit.

The next few foods include collard greens, kale, blueberries, blackberries, apricots, raspberries, swiss chard, strawberries, pumpkin seeds, leeks, and raisins.

In addition, I have found Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron to be extremely helpful with cooking instructions, safety, times, and recipes. Note: I did not follow the order of the foods she introduced.




No comments: