Friday, February 11, 2011

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

Every year, about this time, I get the itch to read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. I love the balance between story, knowledge, and recipes. I just started it again and each time I read it, I learn something new or pick up on something hadn't noticed before. I am also constantly inspired to work towards local-ism and simplicity. If you haven't enjoyed this book it is, in my opinion, a must for 2011.


"Households that have lost the soul of cooking from their routines may not know what they're missing: the song of a stir-fry sizzle, the small talk of clinking measuring spoons, the yeasty scent of rising dough, the painting of flavors onto a pizza before it slides into the oven. The choreography of many people working in one kitchen is, by itself, a certain definition of family, after people have made their separate ways home to be together." (p. 130)

No comments: