Tuesday, July 19, 2011

GRAHAM CRACKERS

Let's call a spade a spade - sometimes eating gluten-free can be one big bummer [or a lot of big bummers]. Sometimes giving up gluten means giving up some very beloved foods - for most people this means bread [if this is you, check out this bread recipe - it is every bit as good as regular bread!]. For me, gluten-free meant no crackers. The store bought gluten free versions are, in my opinion, either really expensive or just not worth it [ie. reminiscent of cardboard]. No offense to those manufacturers, but I was confident that I could do better out of my own kitchen.

Thankfully there are plenty of creative GF-bies out there who come up with all sorts of great recipes that are easily accessible [thank you 20th century, fast speed internet connections and the great world wide web!]. I found this graham cracker recipe at http://glutenfreegirl.com/gluten-free-graham-crackers/ and highly recommend it. It's easy, quick and delicious. The only thing I would recommend is to bake them a little longer than the website states if you are going with a thicker cracker - bake to a deep golden brown and you can't go wrong.

And, if you store them for a little while and they seem soft / stale - place them on a cookie sheet and pop back in the oven for a few minutes to get that crisp back!

No comments: