Thursday, March 24, 2011

GLUTEN-FREE BREAD










Gluten free bread. Never have I had such a dilema [okay, maybe that's not true but on some of those days it sure felt like it] as finding a good tasting gluten free bread. In fact, I got so fed up with the whose who of gluten free "crap" out there that I ended up making my own. I'm sure you have gotten to that point with something in your life.

But you know what? I love it! And even better, my not so gluten-free husband loves it!

I've added some vegetarian adaptations as well.

[DRY INGREDIENTS]

4 c. flour blend (see recipe below)
1 tbsp. xanthan gum
2 tsp. Real Salt sea salt
1/2 c. powdered goat's milk or non-dairy powdered milk of choice
2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
1/4 tsp. baking powder

[WET INGREDIENTS]

4 tbsp. ground flaxseeds soaked in 6 tbsp. water until gel like consistency [appx. 5 minutes]
2 eggs [or 2 additional tbsp. of ground flaxseeds with 6 additional tbsp. of water]
1/4 c. ghee [clarified butter], non-dairy butter [like Earth Balance Soy Free Spread], or Spectrum organic shortening, melted
2 tsp. cider vinegar
1/3 c. honey or maple syrup
2 c. warm water (110 - 115 degrees)

Prepare two 8-inch bread pans with grease and flour. Sift together all dry ingredients and set aside. In mixer (using paddle attachment), blend eggs, ghee, vinegar, honey and flaxseed gel (about 30 seconds). Add half of the dry ingredients and mix until just blended. Add remaining ingredients and blend 30 seconds, until blended. On low speed, slowly add water until fully absorbed. Turn mixer to medium-high and blend 4 minutes (will look like cake batter). While mixing boil a kettle full of water. Place in large glass baking dish and set on lowest rack of oven. Put the other rack just above the dish.

Pour batter into prepared pans and place in oven about steaming water. Shut door and let rise 60 - 70 minutes. Remove from oven.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place pans in preheated oven and bake 60 minutes. Remove from oven and let bread stand 10 minutes in pans. Remove from pans and cool on wire rack.

[GLUTEN FREE FLOUR BLEND: makes 4 cups]

1 1/3 c. brown rice flour
1 1/3 c. tapioca flour / starch
1 1/3 c. potato starch or arrowroot starch
1 tbsp. buckwheat flour


(Recipe adapted from Living Without magazine, October/November 2009 Issue, page 45)

2 comments:

Sherry said...

I just made my very first batch of this bread. Not only am I amazed that I didn't completely fail at it (I've never been a very successful baker) but it actually tastes good. Even my very skeptical husband enjoyed a warm piece with butter tonight and gave the thumbs up! Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe Tina!

TINA, MS, Holistic Nutrition, LEED-AP said...

Sherry - I'm so excited it worked and love when the hubbies approve! Here's to success!