Thursday, November 1, 2012

PUMPKIN [RICE] BRAN MUFFINS

Call me crazy but I don't really get into Halloween. Of course the kids are cute all dressed up in their costumes and there is an undeniable excitement in the air but, to be honest, I completely forgot this holiday dropped in last night! Bah humbug [oops, wrong holiday, but you get the picture]. Since I have become a parent I have really begun to think critically about what my girls take part in and how it affects their health. In doing so, this may mean sacrificing a holiday or two. However, the beauty of having young ones is that they may not even realize they're missing out and my husband and I have the chance to define what each holiday looks like for them. Maybe whatever we decide will be their normal and a bucket full of 5 years worth of candy [generally eaten within a week] will seem really odd [hopefully insane] to them.


Okay, I'm really not as grumpy as I may sound. I, probably more than most, look for any excuse to celebrate, well anything. Valentine's Day - call it a Hallmark Holiday, I still love it [pun completely intended]! President's Day - well I don't know him personally but sure, I'm up for that. National Give Up Your Should's Day [I'm not joking on this one] - yes please! Use Your Common Sense Day [Nov. 4] - does this mean throw a party?! And of course World Vegan Day [today!]. There are plenty more out there [you can find them here if you feel you need a reason to celebrate].

My theory on celebration is, why not?! The days are filled with enough mundane tasks to keep me plenty dulled down. I guess I think if I don't celebrate at least one thing each day then what is the alternative? A day filled with have tos, need tos, don't want tos, and "just one more thing". Oh yeah, and "MOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!" If I don't celebrate, or at least look for one good thing, I become a lifeless being operating on cruise who just gets up to repeat the day before. Boring!

I have no idea how I got on that subject.

Anyway, in honor of World Vegan Day and National Give Up Your Should's Day, here are some yummy pumpkin muffins to ring in a new month and give you a little something special to enjoy on a day that could just be like any other. But, now it's not.

May you celebrate today in big ways and small. Cheers!


[THE RECIPE]

1 3/4 c. quinoa flour [I like using freshly ground]
3/4 c. sorghum flour
1/2 c. rice bran [you could also use freshly ground oat flour]
1 tsp. ground chia or flax seeds
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. sea salt

2 c. pumpkin puree
3/4 c. grapeseed or sunflower seed oil
1/2 c. honey or maple syrup
2 T. blackstrap molasses
2 tsp. real vanilla extract
2 tsp. cider vinegar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. ground allspice

Optional Crumble Topping:

1 c. oats or lightly ground nuts [walnuts or hazelnuts taste great]
2 T. honey or maple syrup
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

In a large mix bowl, stir together dry ingredients [except for the spices]. Set aside. Place wet ingredients and spices in a blender. Blend on medium to high until mixture is very smooth [appx. 1 minute].

Pour wet mix over dry mix and blend well using a hand or stand mixer. Make sure all the dry mix in incorporated.

If you choose to do the topping, mix topping ingredients in a separate bowl and set aside.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Line muffin tin with silicone or paper muffin cups. Using a 1/3 cup measure cup, scoop out mix into each muffin cup. Sprinkle with topping. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes. The tops will begin to crack and brown. Insert knife or toothpick into one of the muffins and remove gently. If  it comes out clean, the muffins are done. If not, continue to bake in 5 minute increments.

Allow the muffins to cool for 10 minutes. Enjoy warm or store in refrigerator or freezer.

Enjoy with a pumpkin shake!





No comments: