Wednesday, November 16, 2016

3-INGREDIENT VEGAN HOT COCOA



It  may seem ridiculous with the temperatures being what they've been, but cold weather's a'comin. I'm still a little stunned that Thanksgiving is next week with December right around the corner. Each year I look forward to my first cup of hot cocoa. It taps into both childhood nostalgia and a deep desire for something sweet and warm.

Sweet, warm, and salty are perfect flavors to seek throughout the winter months according to Ayurvedic principles and may be the reason behind our cravings for decadent food. But we can satisfy this natural and good desire within us without overdoing the sugar and fat - especially the processed versions of each. Root vegetables, well-cooked grains, natural sweeteners, and meats [if that's your thing] can all provide the warmth and grounding our bodies need throughout these unpredictable months.

And cocoa.

For years I've sought out a product that doesn't contain sugar and dairy yet still tastes good. Only recently did a friend of mine introduce me to Nib Mor Drinking Chocolate. Friends, let me tell you, it's good.

Apparently a lot of people agree. Particularly in my town. Last week I frantically searched the shelves of my local grocery stores to find it gone. Like gone, gone. Under normal circumstances I'd shrug my shoulders and give myself the "better luck next time" pep talk. But these circumstances were anything but normal. I was waist deep in shopping for a weekend retreat and stubbornly wanted to serve this particular hot chocolate.

Grrrrrr.

Yet, sometimes not getting what we want opens the door to creativity if we choose to embrace it.

It's also helpful to have a brilliant friend who steps in with "we can make this" resolve.

And so my friend Stephanie [find her here] and I ransacked my pantry and came up with this: a recipe that turned out to be more than enough.

That's the lesson right? When we use what we have, much of the time it's more than enough. 

Happy sipping!

[THE RECIPE]

1/2 cup raw cacao powder
1 3/4 - 2 cups raw coconut sugar [more if desired]
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

Combine all ingredients in a high powered dry-mix blender [like Vitamix], food processor or spice grinder. Blend on high until the mixture becomes a fine powder.

Store in a glass jar [large-mouth pint size is good] with a tight fitting lid.

To make hot cocoa: place one heaping tablespoon of cocoa blend in a mug. Add one cup of water and stir to mix. Taste and adjust as necessary with more mix or water depending. Garnish with cinnamon, homemade marshmallows, a drop of peppermint oil [food grade], molasses [try this recipe!], or shot of espresso.



No comments: