Thursday, November 17, 2016

HOMEMADE BALSAMIC VINAGRETTE



This is my go-to, "good for any occasion and makes everything taste better" dressing. It's the one I've made so many times, I've given up measuring the ingredients and let my eyes and tastebuds take the lead. The one thing I'm a stickler about in this recipe is the balsamic vinegar. There really is no substitution for Napa Valley's Reserve Balsamic. The consistency is reminiscent of molasses and takes a bit to get out of the bottle but the texture it creates when combined with the other ingredients is that of a thick syrup. And no, I'm not getting paid to say this. I have no connection to the company. In fact, rarely do I advocate for a particular brand unless is absolutely affects the outcome of the recipe or presents a quality issue. This is one of those infrequent times. 


[THE RECIPE]

1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar [Don't sub another brand, it has to be this one. Trust me.]
1/2 cup pure, raw honey
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 heaping tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon finely ground sea salt [start with less and add more as needed]
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon fresh or 1 teaspoon dried thyme

Place all of the ingredients into a glass quart jar. Secure the lid tightly and shake vigorously for a couple minutes until the mixture is like a thick syrup and ingredients are thoroughly combined. Taste the dressing and add more honey, vinegar, or salt as needed. Store on the counter for up to a week or in the refrigerator for a month or so.

I like this dressing on just about everything: meat, salad, rice - get creative!

No comments: