Wednesday, August 10, 2011

SUMMER FAVORITES

This week I am bumming it at the beach. Actually, my husband is the chaplain for this amazing camp set on the beautiful shores of Lake Michigan, which means I get a taste of summer camp and have an excuse to visit the beach every day - you know, because it's part of the job of course [what drudgery]. This also means I have a bona fide excuse to forgo cleaning, dishes, laundry, or other chores of any sort and instead am required to relax with a good book, a cool drink and my favorite pair of sunglasses - Any. Time. I. Want. This is vacation! So, due to my sun-born, beach induced laziness [can you blame me?], I thought I would share a sampling of what I've been enjoying this summer. However, I must warn you that you may become as addicted to these as I have!

[SUMMER READS]

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle [I read this at least once a year, this year - twice - I love being inspired and challenged]
Jayber Crow [read the disclaimer at the beginning and you'll instantly love Wendell Berry]
Craving Grace [partial to this one as I know and love the author!]
Martha Stewart and Whole Living Magazines [who doesn't love Martha?]
Eat, Pray, Love [so excited to start this one that I added it here]
Food Network Magazine [love creating GF / DF meals out of the recipes they have]
This blog

[COOL SUMMER DRINKS]

Goji Berry Lemonade [seriously can't stop drinking this! - I use 1 tbsp. of powder if I don't have berries on hand or time to soak them]
Kombucha [I mainly make my own - try this site for a great how-to or Sally Fallon's recipe in this book. If you don't make your own try these]










[FAV SUMMER SMOOTHIE]

I've been addicted to this smoothie combination [or some similar variation] adapted from this wonderful little book - handful of berries + handful of oats + some sunflower seeds + a little tahini + one or two stevia leaves + 1 frozen banana + 1 tbsp. chia seeds + a super food powder of
choice [ex. goji berry, acai, alfalfa, pomegranate, chlorella, spirulina, hemp powder]










[FOR THE MUNCHIES]

Outside of the obvious raw garden foods that mainly fulfill my snacking needs, I absolutely love this seed butter [also try this - scroll down to "chocolate sunbutter"] over this bread recipe [toast the bread!]

[WHEN WINING AND DINING]

Can't get enough of the veggies from our garden - one of the many blessings of these warm, mid-year months. Loving this meal! Follow it up with this dessert, or this one [use whatever berry or fruit is in season] or just cut some fruit up and top it with this coconut whipped cream [scroll down to bottom of post]!

Also loving those special visits to Marie Catrib's!


[SUMMER FUN]

Swimming and boogie boarding in the big lake [referring to Lake Michigan]
Canning [this and this are my go-to books] and freezing [anything I might want during those obnoxiously long and frozen tundra months]
Gardening [and weeding, and trellising, and planting, and pulling bugs off plants, and planting some more....]
Making baby food [and more baby food - I have one hungry girl!]
Cooking [or throwing a bunch of raw veggies together - is that actually cooking?]
Blueberry picking [loving Irvine's!]
Traversing the local farmer's market
Yoga [loving this! disclaimer: I took a few classes prior to using a DVD and found it very helpful]

[SUMMER INDULGENCES]

Pampering myself with these body care recipes while savoring this or this amazing dark chocolate - especially after a long day of chasing around the babe, cleaning and working in the garden.


So, dear friends, may you find yourself in a place where you can kick back and relax. May you shed all of those stresses and worries that you have been carrying with you and enjoy, maybe for the first time in a while, just living. May you take in the sights, sounds, and smells around you. May you breath in the energy that comes simply from stepping outside and being present in the world. And may you enjoy the feeling pure contentment.






1 comment:

Lisa Velthouse said...

Ahh! Thanks for the Craving Grace mention. :) Glad you like it.